Authors: Kirsten Silveira

To finish off what CSU President Tony Frank calls his campus revitalization “wish list,” the university is looking to double the student fee for facilities next year, Frank told the Student Fee Review Board Monday.

During the SFRB’s weekly meeting, he pitched the possibility of the increase, but said the number is strictly preliminary, as the CSU System Board of Governors may reject the request.

Students currently pay $10 a year to the university’s facility fee, and Frank said he realizes that the increase will come on top of tuition hikes. But he said he wants to finish the projects, which include renovations to the Morgan Library and the Institute for Teaching and Learning Building.

SFRB is an advisory board chaired by student government Vice President Tim Hole that makes a recommendation on how to dole out more than $25 million –– or $578.06 for each student every semester –– to university administration. Hole said that, while he expected the request for more fees cycled to facilities, he hasn’t decided whether he supports the increase, which would bring the total fee budget to $30 million.

“On one hand, in my mind, nice buildings and a nice campus means we are a prestigious university,” he said, adding that his uncertainty comes from the fact that the burden on students will become much heavier.

The School of the Arts and the Association for Student Activity and Programming will both request increases in student fees from the board later this semester.
_
Senior Reporter Kirsten Silveira can be reached at news@collegian.com._