Authors: Matt Minich

CSU alumnus, entrepreneur and adventurer Malcolm Daly will return to Fort Collins today to share stories of his exploits in business and the outdoors.

A 1978 graduate of CSU’s outdoor recreation department, Daly is the founder of the Trango climbing company and women’s activewear company Stonewear Designs. While he is typically paid for his presentations, he is speaking for free “out of the goodness of his heart,” said Ginger Morehouse, a spokesperson for the CSU Alumni Association, which organized the event.

Daly is an accomplished skier, cyclist and mountaineer. He has remained engaged in his favorite sports despite losing one of his feet in a 1999 climbing accident.

While attempting to climb an unnamed peak in the Alaska Range, Daly fell to an icy ledge, where he lay stranded with two broken legs for more than 48 hours. When he was finally rescued, the frostbite on his feet was so severe one of them had to be removed.

Daly’s talk will focus equally on his outdoor experiences and his business expertise, Morehouse said. The event will begin at 5:30 p.m., and will include free appetizers and a cash bar. Tickets are $8 for students, $15 for non-students and $10 for Alumni Association members.

News Editor Matt Minich can be reached at news@collegian.com.