Authors: Kyle Grabowski

CSU women’s basketball is trying to snap a four-game losing streak tonight as they host Air Force.

Air Force is ranked last in the Mountain West Conference with a 3-19 record and zero wins in conference play. CSU has won three consecutive games against Air Force, a streak that dates back to February 2008.

Despite the Falcon’s recent struggles, the Rams remain wary of the Falcons.

“I think it’s going to be a dogfight,” head coach Kristen Holt said.

Earlier this season the Rams defeated the Falcons 74-68 in Colorado Springs.

The Falcons rank last in the conference in nearly every major offensive and defensive category, including scoring offense, scoring defense and turnover margin.

Air Force has shown flashes of competitiveness this season, only losing to Denver and UNLV by one point each.

“We gotta be careful,” sophomore Kim Mestdagh said. “There’s no reason to be confident about this game.”

Junior guard Raimee Beck has been one of the few bright spots this season for Air Force, scoring 13.9 points and bringing down 6.5 rebounds per game, both ranking in the MWC’s top ten.

“I think if we can do what we did to her in the first half of the first time we played, I think we’ll be in good shape,” Holt said.

In January the Rams held Beck in check for most of the game, allowing her to score only two points in the first 35 minutes.

“We’re gonna trail Beck and try to limit her touches,” freshman guard Chantel Kennedy said.

The Rams enter the game on a season-long four-game losing streak, their longest since a five game skid late last season. During the slide, CSU has committed 22.5 turnovers per game while only pulling down 25 rebounds per contest.

“The longer you go not winning games, the more pressure it puts on the next opponent and the next game,” Holt said.

A win tonight would give the Rams a season sweep of the series with Air Force for the second consecutive season. CSU has never lost a game to the Falcons under Holt’s direction.

“It’s about time we come together and play well and win this game,” Mestdagh said. “It’s gonna be a great game but if we don’t show up, Air Force will knock us out.”

Tip off is scheduled for 6 p.m.

Women’s Basketball Beat Reporter Kyle Grabowski can be reached at sports@collegian.com.