Authors: Kirsten Silveira

This is an event for students who say “bah humbug” to Valentine’s Day.

The “Bitter Ball,” hosted by the Residence Hall Association, is aimed toward students who don’t have a special someone and may be “bitter about it,” said Amanda Chang, programming director for Campus Activities.

But, couples are not excluded from the festivities, she said, adding that based on the turnout for the Winter Ball last semester, RHA estimates 200 people to show up for the Valentine’s Day celebration.

The organization decided to host its second annual “Bitter Ball” this Thursday, Feb. 11 in the Lory Student Center Main Ballroom from 7:30 to 10:30 p.m. Chang said she doesn’t think having the event on a Thursday will impact the turnout.

The Valentine’s Day mood will be set with dimmed lights, candles and popular tunes, but the event, Chang said, is open anyone looking for something fun to do.

“Students really seem to enjoy going to dances,” Chang said, adding that when RHA asked around campus for event ideas, dances were a popular request.

The event is free to students aside from the option to donate $1 to a Haiti relief fund in exchange for having a photo taken.

“If you think of a high school dance in a gym, a college version of that would be a good description,” Chang said.

Senior Reporter Kirsten Silveira can be reached at news@collegian.com.

Ways to Celebrate Valentine’s Day

“The Greatest Couples of All Time”
Where: Lory Student Center West Ballroom
When: Saturday, Feb. 13 from 7 to 10 p.m.
Sponsored by: Campus Activities and Black Definition

“Couples in Love and Music”
Where: Rialto Theatre
When: Friday, Feb. 12 at 8 p.m.
Cost: $18 for adults, $14 for students

“KCSU Date a DJ”
What: e-mail three reasons why you deserve to date a DJ to KCSUPromo@gmail.com by 11:59 p.m. Thursday, Feb. 11.
What you’ll win: two people will win a date at 6 p.m. on Valentine’s Day at CooperSmith’s Pub & Brewing in Old Town.

“Bitter Ball”
Where: Lory Student Center Main Ballroom
When: Thursday, Feb. 11, 7:30 to 10:30 p.m.
Cost: Free