Authors: Kevin Hollinshead,

Government must intervene in bcs monopoly
By Kevin Hollinshead

As you may have heard, CSU has some budget problems. If the cuts to student organizations and services weren’t bad enough, the school will now raise tuition 9 percent ($434 a year) starting this fall.

While larger universities aren’t in enviable positions either, they at least have a source of funding that most small schools do not: Bowl Championship Series (BCS) payouts.

The system dictates that the winner of each of the six major college football conferences gets an automatic berth in a BCS bowl. Each of the five BCS games brings a $17 million payout, with the biggest share to the winners, and the rest to be split among every school in the represented conferences, regardless of performance. The six “power” conferences are thus guaranteed a nice chunk of change.

Non-BCS schools, such as CSU, must hope that a team in their conference finishes the season undefeated to qualify for a BCS game if they want some of that money.

Both Congress and the White House are correct for openly questioning whether the BCS violates the Sherman Anti-trust Act. At a time when higher education funding is drying up, it’s despicable how heavily the BCS favors bigger football programs.

The most common complaint about government intervention in the BCS is something to the effect of “don’t they have more important things to worry about?”

In reality, for all its problems, our government is indeed capable of multitasking. At a time when the fed preaches about the evils of special interests, and about prioritizing higher education, this is a golden opportunity with bipartisan support to back up both of those messages.

If one CSU program could be saved by BCS money, that makes an investigation completely worth it. Plus, let’s face it, a playoff would be sweet.

Congressional investigation into bcs is a joke
By Seth Stern

I admit, when I first heard Congress was going to look into the BCS I had two reactions in support.
First, the sports fan loves the idea of a potential playoff. After all, Division I football is the only entity in collegiate athletics which does not use a playoff system. Even Division IA uses playoffs.

The libertarian in me was relieved the idiots in Washington had finally decided to distract themselves from ruining the country in order to pursue a mostly harmless agenda.

However, the bottom line for me is the Constitution provides no power to Congress to provide oversight for anti-trust laws or anything else not expressly permitted by Article 1 Section 8 or 9.

I know what some of you more knowledgeable folks are thinking, “Doesn’t the interstate commerce clause give Congress unlimited power?”

The problem with that statement is you have no knowledge and you have never bothered to question authority. This move by Congress and recently the White House to involve the federal government in the business of universities violates the intent of the Constitution, as does virtually every other thing they do, yes, typically under the false pretense of the interstate commerce clause.

Those of you who don’t should consider the merit behind this statement, “the federal government should not involve itself in everything going on in America.”

These people have screwed up everything in which they have gotten involved.

Quick reminder, these are the people who brought you: TARP, No Child Left Behind, the Patriot Act, buyouts of GM and Chrysler – who then failed anyway, the Vietnam War, Iraq, Afghanistan, Social Security and Medicare. Every single one of these was a colossal failure and it barely scrapes the surface of their full resume.

Butt out Congress, you’ve screwed up enough.