Rams swim laps around UNLV

Authors: David de Besche

The CSU swimming team added yet another win to its record, hosting the Rebels of UNLV at Moby Pool, ending the meet at 185-115. This late season win improved the CSU to 8-1 overall and kept them near the top of the MWC, trailing only BYU.

The Rams had an all around team effort Saturday, taking first place in 12 of the 16 events. Three of the 12 first place finishes notched new season bests, and with the conference championship meet just around the corner, the Rams could not have asked for better timing.

“I was really happy to break the 24 second mark. It was a really big step to break and now I want to keep it going,” junior Sam Dole said on setting a season-best time of 23.92 seconds in the 50 Freestyle.

Senior Kathleen McCleary also set a season best in the 1,000 Freestyle at 10:24.17, while Nicole Lynch added in the 200 Breaststroke with a time of 2:22.16.

Saturday was also Senior Day for CSU with friends and family filling the stands to honor the nine seniors. The entire team wanted to commemorate the seniors and did so with their actions in the water.

“We (underclassmen) really wanted to come together and win for the seniors, we really wanted to have great energy,” Dole said. “There were tons of fans supporting all of us, making a really great atmosphere.”

This Senior Day was extra special with the win, capping an undefeated season at Moby Pool for the nine seniors to end their year, where they wanted to rise to the occasion of the day.

“Senior Day is really special. I just really wanted to swim my heart out with so many people here, and I feel I did,” McCleary said of her season-best performance Saturday. “And it was awesome to go undefeated here this season, the best way to go out.”

Saturday was an interesting situation for both teams who were missing the divers of their teams. The divers of each team were competing in the Air Force Academy Invite on Saturday. Since both team’s divers were competing at the same meet, their events were counted towards the dual in Fort Collins.

Sophomore Shayna Soloman took first place in the Three-Meter Diving adding to the team’s total and making the Rams’ presence felt at the invitational.

This win keeps CSU on track for what looks to be a very exciting last leg of the season with the MWC Championships in late February and the Border War with Wyoming this Friday in Laramie.

Though the Ram’s are looking good for the conference meet, they know that whenever competing against a rival, it’s going to be big.

“We are going to have our hands full, Wyoming really wants to beat us, and we really want to beat them. It’s going to be neck and neck, they have great girls there.” McCleary said.

Swimming and Diving Beat Reporter David de Besche can be reached at sports@collegian.com.