Authors: Kirsten Silveira

Interim Provost Rick Miranda has been a part of the CSU community for more than 20 years and said, to him, it’s important to have a bit of fun every day, if not every hour.

Interviewing today as one of the three final candidates for the position of provost and executive vice president, Miranda said, as an administrative professional, it’s important to instill the can-do, why-not attitude in all people you come into contact with.

With this way of thinking, Miranda, with the help of the university president and his cabinet, deans and faculty, said he hopes to facilitate a series of changes that he sees coming:

Improving retention, graduation rates and post-graduation placement,
Increasing diversity to better represent the state of Colorado,
Ensuring higher levels of hands-on learning for students,
Implementing funding methods to increase growth of academic programs,
Heightening the “perception and reality” of CSU’s partnerships with various communities and industries, and
Reaching the next level of research and excellence.

After getting his Ph.D. from Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Miranda took a position in the Math Department at CSU in 1982. Miranda has also served as dean of the College of Natural Sciences and said if he doesn’t get the job of provost he will resume that duty.

Miranda, who has been interim provost and executive vice president since 2008, is the last candidate to have an on-campus interview. An open forum will be held today in the Lory Student Center Cherokee room and is open to the public.

If he assumes the position, Miranda will preside over all of CSU’s academic programs, chair the Council of Deans, serve as a non-voting member of the Faculty Council and sit on CSU President Tony Frank’s cabinet.

The search committee charged with filling the position of provost/executive vice president began the search for a permanent provost in October 2009 and required that candidates have:

A minimum of five years academic administrative experience,
A doctorate degree,
Attained rank as a full professor with tenure,
Qualifications for the rank of full professor with tenure at a Carnegie research extensive university, and
Experience in a comprehensive research university.

Chair of the search committee Blanche Hughes, who also serves as both the university’s vice president of Student Affairs and the interim vice president of Diversity, said the committee, which chose the final three candidates from its national search, will lay out each candidate’s strengths and weaknesses.

Frank will receive a recommendation from the committee as per who he should hire but will make the final decision.

“This is the person,” Hughes said. “He or she is responsible for the academic core of the university.”

_Senior Reporter Kirsten Silveira can be reached at news@collegian.com. _