Authors: Kyle Grabowski

On Saturday, the SDSU Aztecs defeated the CSU’s women’s basketball team 59-38 at Viejas Arena in San Diego. The loss was the Rams’ second on their five-day road trip, losing by more than 20 points in each contest.

CSU trailed 29-25 with 14:01 remaining in the second half, but an 11-0 run put the game out of reach. The Rams committed a season-high 35 turnovers, which led to 30 points for the Aztecs.

“Really ugly game, a lot of turnovers for us,” said CSU head coach Kristen Holt. “They played sloppy, but we were worse.”

SDSU turned the ball over 33 times, but CSU could not capitalize, turning those Aztec mistakes into only 17 points.

Sophomore Kim Mestdagh continued her six-game double-figures streak, scoring 11 points to lead the team. But it was SDSU’s all-conference guard Jene Morris who stole the show, pouring in 19 points for the Aztecs and collected three steals.

Chatilla van Grinsven’s run of consecutive 20-point games came to an end as she only managed to score nine points, but she did connect on five of six free throws.

The Rams were able to keep up with SDSU for most of the first half and the early part of the second, trailing by only five at halftime. CSU never led in the game; they tied the Aztecs at 15 with 4:05 remaining in the first half and at two in the contest’s opening moments.

The 38 points was the team’s lowest of Coach Holt’s tenure and the least they had scored since a 68-28 downfall against Utah in 2008.

CSU shot 27 percent on the evening, their lowest percentage since shooting 23.3 percent at home in a win against South Dakota.

Women’s Basketball beat reporter Kyle Grabowski can be reached at sports@collegian.com.