We could be worse off, CSU

Authors: Collegian Editorial Board

As if the string of state cuts announced in the last year haven’t been enough to ruin a day, CSU announced Wednesday that in-state, undergraduate students likely face a 9 percent increase in tuition –– $434 per year –– to attend next year.

Non-resident, undergraduate students will likely pay about 3 percent, or $622 more annually.

A part of the university’s preliminary budget for fiscal year 2011, this hike follows on the heels of a 9 percent increase that affected what students are paying this year.

Essentially, CSU –– Colorado higher education in general –– is in dire straights in terms of funding. And though university administration is looking for alternative funding sources and raising millions through capital fundraising, students, once again, have been called upon to absorb a part of the overall financial blows.

But even though it’s clear that no one, let alone students, has an extra few hundred dollars to dish out, it’s also important to recognize that CSU is not struggling as much as some.

According to a CSU System Board of Governor’s report that compared 2009 tuition costs between CSU and its peer institutions, CSU tuition per semester, on average, came in at about $4,424. Of the 14 institutions compared in the report, 10 had higher tuition costs than CSU:

University of California-Davis: $9,496
Purdue University: $7,317
Washington State University: $6,720
Virginia Tech: $6,322
Auburn University: $5,880
Iowa State University: $5,524
University of Tennessee: $5,448
Mississippi State University: $5,151
Kansas State University: $4,764
Texas A&M University: $4,598.

So with that in mind, thank your administration for keeping costs lower than our peers. At least for that, we can be thankful.