Authors: Kyle Grabowski

As the snow began to fall in Fort Collins Wednesday night, TCU ended CSU’s winning streak, defeating the Rams 78-51 in Fort Worth.

CSU’s women committed 22 turnovers on the night, which the Horned Frogs converted into 25 points. TCU was able to shoot 46.9 percent from the field and 50 percent from beyond the arc and out-rebounded the Rams 41-38.

Comparatively, CSU shot 33.3 percent for the game and only connected on two of their 20 attempts from three-point range.
“We looked like a young team tonight,” head coach Kristen Holt said. “You can‘t give a really good team like TCU extra possessions.”

TCU led by as many as 30 during the latter stages of the second half and only trailed once, 2-0 just over 30 seconds into the game.

CSU was able to keep the game close early, tying the TCU at four and six points before the Horned Frogs took off on a 9-0 run to give themselves some breathing room and never looked back.

TCU improves to 15-4 on the season while the Rams dropped to 11-8.

“We were pretty much dominated the whole game,” Holt said. “They just kind of overpowered us.”

Sophomore forward Chatilla van Grinven scored 20 points for the second straight game to lead CSU, as well as pulling down five rebounds.

“I’m expecting to get rebounds and score more than I did at the beginning of the season or last year,” she said. “I think it gets more like a routine if you have to step up in tough games.”

Despite only shooting 31.5 percent on the night, fellow sophomore Kim Mestdagh added 14 points for the Rams as well as four steals and six rebounds.

“We need to refocus on our next game,” Mestdagh said. “You gotta forget about the bad shooting because it’s something you can fix.”

TCU’s Emily Carter continued her offensive potency in Mountain West Conference games by dropping 18 points on seven of nine shooting, including three of four from long range.

Eleven out of the twelve Horned Frogs who suited up scored at least four points. Senior guard T.K. LaFleur scored the 1,000th point of her TCU career with 13:02 remaining in the second half on a free throw.

Despite suffering their second largest loss of the season, the Rams remained confident and optimistic about the team’s future.

“We gotta get stronger from that and learn from it and make sure that doesn’t happen again,” Mestdagh said.

Women’s Basketball Beat Reporter Kyle Grabowski can be reached at sports@collegian.com.