Authors: Matt L. Stephens

In years past, the final few weeks before National Signing Day has been a time that the CSU football team has lost some of their most sought-after recruits. Not this year.

As reported by the Collegian on Tuesday, the Rams were able to get a pledge from defensive end John Froland, who until last weekend, planned on playing his college ball at Northwestern, and Wednesday, CSU was able to steal another Big Ten commitment.

Tony Drake, a 5-foot-9, 170-pound all-purpose running back from Skyline High School in Dallas, has made a verbal commitment to the CSU Rams, GoldandGreenNews.com reported.

Drake, a three-star prospect ranked as the country’s No. 8 all-purpose back in the class of 2010 by Rivals.com, decided he wanted to spend his college career in Fort Collins, despite being committed to the University of Michigan for almost a year.

As a senior, Drake rushed for 1,373 yards and 13 touchdowns while averaging 8.3 yards per carry. He also brought down 12 receptions for 119 yards and one score on the receiving end.

Assuming Drake signs with CSU on Feb. 3, he’ll be the second former, high school top-10, all-purpose back on the Rams’ roster. UCLA transfer Raymond Carter, who will be eligible to play for CSU during the upcoming 2010 season, was the No. 3 all-purpose running back from the class of 2007.

The Rams’ recruiting class now ranks 54th nationally, ahead of CU-Boulder, ranked 55th by Rivals.com. Sports Editor Matt L. Stephens is a recruiting analyst for Gold and Green News of the Rivals.com Network. He can be reached at sports@collegian.com.