Authors: Kyle Grabowski

Monday, CSU sophomore guard Kim Mestdagh was named the Mountain West Conference’s Women’s Basketball Player of the Week for the third time this season.

Mestdagh averaged 21.5 points and 5.5 rebounds while leading the Rams to wins at UNLV and at home against New Mexico last week.

“It’s neat because she’s continually scoring,” Rams head coach Kristen Holt said, “Teams know that she’s out there, they know what she can do and she’s still doing it. That’s exciting.”

In Las Vegas, Mestdagh scored a game-high 23 points, including the last six to put the victory on ice for CSU.

At home against New Mexico on Saturday, the Lobos kept Mestdagh, the MWC’s leading scorer, out of the flow of the game early, denying her the ball and keeping constant pressure. Mestdagh got going by driving to the hoop and dishing out assists to her teammates, which left her more open to shoot a blistering 62.5 percent from the field, including four of seven from three-point range.

Mestdagh finished with 20 points, four rebounds and three steals.

“This is my first award in conference so it means a lot more,” Mestdagh said, “I’m really glad because I know the Mountain West Conference has a lot of great players and I’m just glad I got this award.”

On the season, Mestdagh is averaging 17.2 points, 5.1 rebounds, and two steals per game. Next up, the Rams head to TCU for a game Wednesday at 5:30 p.m.

Women’s Basketball beat reporter Kyle Grabowski can be reached at sports@collegian.com.