Authors: Ryan Sheine

For Daria Korotkova, a 14-year-old Russian piano prodigy, it was always her dream to study piano in the United States and to become a musician on the international concert stage.

And Saturday, she will do just that when she graces the stage at 7:30 p.m. in the University Center for the Arts’ Griffin Concert Hall.

Daria, known as “Dasha,” comes from St. Petersburg, Russia.

Born in Novocherkassk, Russia on May 23, 1995, Daria went on to study at the Experimental Musical School for children when she was 5. The EMS is attached to the regional Rostov College of Arts in Rostov-on-Don, the largest cultural centre in southern Russia.

Her mother will accompany her as she tours the U.S. for a series of lessons and concerts.
During her performance, Daria will perform Sergei Rachmaninov’s “Six Moments Musicuax, Op. 16,” Frederic Chopin’s “Sonata No. 2 in B-flat minor, Op. 35” and Alexander Scriabin’s “Five Etudes, Op.8.”

Her age and prestige add to the anticipation and desire to see her perform, said Davis Witt, a freshman biological sciences major who has never been to the UCA. “I would try to make an effort to go and see her if she was a big deal and everything.”

In March of 2002, Dasha won second place in “The Art of the XXI Century” Competition in Greece.Then in December, she was awarded the First Degree Diploma at the Fifth Festival of Dedications to Alexander Skryabin in Moscow.
In St. Petersburg, Russia in March of 2003, she was awarded a Diploma in the M. Mazura Competition, “The Tradition and The Present,” and later received a Russian Culture Fund Grant, “Young Talents,” from 2003 to 2004.

Daria also participated in the Rheingau Music Festival and the Neigauz Music Festival in July of 2007.

She has given concerts in Switzerland –– Zurich, Bern and Geneva –– and in Germany –– Hamburg and Hanover. In St. Petersburg, she has performed concerts at several prestigious concert halls such as the Smolny Cathedral, the Small Philharmonic Hall, the Small Conservatory Hall and the State Chapel.

Tickets for the event are $12 for the public, $7 for CSU students and $1 for children ages 2 to 17. Tickets are available at the ticket office window in the UCA Griffin Lobby by telephone at (970) 491-2787 or online at http://sota.colostate.edu.

Staff writer Ryan Sheine can be reached at news@collegian.com.

Piano performance

What: 14-year-old Russian piano prodigy to perform at CSU

When: Saturday at 7:30 p.m.

Where: Griffin Hall at the University Center for the Arts

Cost: $12 for the public, $7 for CSU students and $1 for children ages 2 to 17.

Tickets are avialable at the office window in the UCA Griffin Lobby, by telephone at (970) 491-2787 or online at http://sota.colostate.edu.