Authors: David de Besche

As this week is a slow transition for students getting back in the routine of classes, this weekend has the CSU swimming and diving team in high gear with three straight days of competition in the pool.

Action starts Friday night when the University of Denver faces off in Fort Collins in a non-conference dual against the Rams. CSU hopes to repeat their success of last Sunday where they beat the Utes of Utah in a Mountain West Conference dual 153-147.

After the meet against DU, the Rams will be traveling to Colorado Springs to compete in the Colorado College Classic.
The CSU swimming and diving team has been in the water for weeks getting ready for this busy weekend and the second half of their season, and without classes they have been able to concentrate just on being in the pool. With classes starting this week, it actually gave the team a break from the practice schedule during winter break.

“The practices are still hard with classes going on, but the only thing we really lose is a mid-day nap,” said senior swimmer Nicole Lynch of changing from the winter break schedule.

This is not the first time this year CSU and DU swimmers will be competing against each other. In October, the Rams traveled to Denver and took home first place in the DU Relays with 488 points to Denver’s second-place effort of 244 points. This experience gives the Rams a lot of confidence going into Friday’s dual.

“The DU relays were more of a fun meet, and we know that we have our work cut out for us,” Lynch said. “But we have been working really hard.”

Unlike the swimmers, this will be the first time the CSU divers compete against DU in a dual meet, where they know the Pioneers will bring their “A game” to Moby Pool.

“We haven’t competed against them (DU) yet this year, but we have competed against one of their girls before who is pretty good,” said junior diver Cori Swango.

Friday’s dual will also be a good warm up for the Rams before they travel south to compete in the Colorado College Classic. The Rams will be facing Cal State East Bay and five other teams from the Rocky Mountain Athletic Conference
“It will defiantly prepare us for the invite since we’re all throwing new dives,” Swango said.

The dual between the Rams and Pioneers is tonight at the Moby Pool at 5 p.m. where CSU will try to increase their overall record to 7-1. This event is open free to the public.

Swimming and Diving beat reporter David de Besche can be reached at sports@collegian.com.