Authors: Ashley Watson

Beginning with the last issue printed in May, The Collegian will have a new editor in chief. During the Spring 2010 semester, Madeline Novey will be training to take over the position from Virginia Singarayar.

Novey is a junior journalism major with a news editorial concentration. She has been working with The Collegian for almost two years –– first as a staff writer, then a senior reporter, assistant news editor and finally news managing editor.

Novey said she would continue the excellence already established within the paper, including award winning in-depth reporting, photography and graphics.

She wants to start and broaden a volunteer program to bolster the size of all departments within the paper in order to cover more local content and increase the amount of social media and content for the new Web site.
Novey said she hopes to develop marketing strategies to drive more readers to the Web site and “make those (readers) aware of who we are as an institution,” she said.

She wants to add more user-generated content to the paper, such as weekly photos and student columns, while at the same time continuing and increasing hyperlocal coverage.

“I love this paper more than anything, and I’m incredibly excited to be able to follow in the footsteps of all the amazing people before me,” she said.

“I want to make the Collegian the best we can make it.”

Staff writer Ashley Watson can be reached at news@collegian.com.