As we are all more than aware, the Commonwealth of Massachusetts held a special election on Tuesday for the seat vacated by the deceased Ted Kennedy. Ironically, the result was a fitting tribute for the late senator’s impact on his home state and nation.

I detailed in a column celebrating Kennedy’s death the travesty that was the Chappaquiddick incident in which Kennedy’s acts claimed the life of a young woman. Acts that went unpunished I might add. The ironies of Kennedy’s service as senator are numerous and almost defy logic.

Proving convincingly that it is more effective to have a famous last name than to actually produce results in political office, Kennedy parlayed his brother’s election from Senate to White House into a four-decade long Senate career.
Kennedy’s most timely contributions to the nation involved derailing his own presidential aspirations with the death of Mary Jo Kopechne, and leaving a legacy that jaded so many independent voters in Massachusetts, they ironically replaced him with the charismatic state Sen. Scott Brown, a Republican who may well kill Kennedy’s dream of socialized health care.
As most of you know, I don’t affiliate myself with Republicans or Democrats. They represent definitive proof of the rampant corruption in American politics, and I despise them both. Admittedly, I loathe Republicans only slightly less than Democrats, mostly for their thoughts on gun control.

However, the truth of the matter is the enemy of my enemy is my friend. Democrats pushing health care as if it will cure the ills of the nation are pandering to the bottom feeding liberals who believe social programs are god-given rights promised to everyone. The flaw in that particular ideology is limited only by the facts.

We have a misperception in American. The word for that misperception is “entitlement.” At some point in the past few decades, a large portion of the population failed to learn the difference between rights and entitlements.
You don’t have the right to higher education; this is a thought that our own editorial board seems reticent to grasp. You also do not have the right to free or affordable healthcare. Nor do you have the right to free cable, serviceable highways, clean streets or even, as the Beastie Boys said, to party.

The rights you have are limited to the rights granted by the Constitution and its amendments. Freedom of speech, for instance, is a right. Life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness, all count as rights.

This is something the Democrat running in the election failed to grasp. Martha Coakley had every intention to fill the Senate seat and approve any social entitlement program she could to ensure perpetual re-election.

This concept of further legislating entitlements seems to have upset some folks. In my lifetime, very few things have united everyone to the right of Karl Marx the way the attempts at health care reform and Martha Coakley just did.
The defining trait of the modern liberal from my perspective is haughtiness. They seem to feel those who disagree with their social programs are simpletons, idiots, unenlightened or rascists, as Janeane Garofalo said.

How then, did one of the most liberal states in the union just send an everyman to D.C. to replace one of the most arrogant of modern liberals?

At one point toward the end of the campaign, Brown was pulling in $1 million daily. Do you think every dollar was coming from within the commonwealth? In this was a national election and personally, I couldn’t be happier with the outcome.
Brown’s election may very well serve as the catalyst to restore a balance to Washington D.C. in which very little happens. Let us hope for that change.

The irony of the Massachusetts election was in the fact the independent voters of one of the most liberal states in the union rebelled against the spirit of liberalism the recently deceased senator waited his entire career to cultivate.
Tuesday’s result was nothing less than you had earned Teddy. Your legacy remains intact.

Seth J. Stern is a senior journalism and sociology major. His column appears Fridays in the Collegian. Letters and feedback can be sent to letters@collegian.com.