Authors: Joe E. Goings

Approximately 840 new parking spaces will be available to students and faculty when the four-tiered, $21.6 million Lake Street Garage opens in March.

The upper levels of the structure will be available to students with ‘Z’ parking permits and faculty with ‘A’ permits, while hourly parking will be available on the ground floor, said CSU’s director of parking services Dave Bradford.

The garage will not be available to students living on campus between the hours or 8 a.m. and 5 p.m.

Bradford said CSU’s parking services had not yet decided after-hours policies for the garage. The spaces will either be open to anyone after hours or a 24-hour permit will be made available.

The garage will have solar panels installed on the roof to reduce energy costs, Facilities Management Director Brian Chase said, and may contain a convenience store or sandwich shop. The possible shops are so-called “wish-list” items, or projects that will be built only if the garage is constructed at or under budget.

The money for the parking garage is coming directly from the parking services budget, which is largely funded through the sale _of parking permits and fees.

Staff Writer Joe E. Goings can be reached at news@collegian.com._

*Lake Street Garage *
What: Lake Street Parking Garage
Parking spaces: 840
Accessibility: Students with ‘Z’ parking permits, faculty with ‘A’ permits, hourly parking available on ground floor
Construction cost: $21.6 million