Authors: Laura James

“Avatar” brings the long-awaited return of famed “Titanic” and “Terminator II: Judgment Day” director James Cameron.
With rumors of its fantastic special effects and astronomical production costs, this sci-fi fantasy thriller was sure to be nothing more than a movie tailored to the tastes of 13-year-old boys, right?

Wrong.

“Avatar” has something for everybody. Visually it’s incredibly stunning, and is especially dazzling in 3-D. The colors, sights and sounds of the film are all top notch.
But the plot seriously falls short.

The script, which James Cameron claims to have written 16 years ago, is like any other script from several different movies with the same plot, which is the biggest disappointment about “Avatar.” The plot has been done before at least 10 other times.

Let’s take a walk through cinema history, shall we?
In 1992 there were three different movies released with similar plots and elements to that of “Avatar,” “Fern Gully –– The Last Rainforest,” “Last of the Mohicans” and “Medicine Man.”

Could these similar plots be because 1992 was exactly 18 years ago, around the same time that Cameron claims to have written the script? Maybe so.

All three films, minus the cutting-edge graphics, are forerunners of “Avatar.”

And then there are the predecessors of those films: “Dances with Wolves” in 1990 and “The Mission” in 1986.

Even despite the lack of an original plot in “Avatar”, Cameron successfully explored the very sci-fi idea of avatars to an extent that has never been done before.

The world of Cameron’s imagination is a beautiful place to visit, and with “Avatar” fresh from its win for Best Motion Picture Drama at the Golden Globes you can be sure to see more avatars, Na’vis, dragons, floating mountains and other marvels of 3-D technology in the sequel.

Movie reviewer Laura James can be reached at verve@collegian.com.