Authors: Jim Sojourner

Making sure College Avenue magazine’s content stays student driven will be a key for Editor in Chief-elect Kelly Bleck, said the magazine’s current leader Valerie Hisam shortly after Bleck’s appointment to the position Thursday night.

The decision comes just a week after the president of the Collegian’s parent company the Rocky Mountain Student Media Corporation picked new leaders for its student run TV station, CTV channel 11, and its radio station, KSCU.

All three newly appointed heads were selected by company president Larry Steward and will take over in the fall of 2011.

Bleck said working with new technology and improving online content will be a focus next year, in addition to narrowing the magazine’s focus to smaller, more personal stories and “letting people know College Ave. is out there and is a great publication.”

“This is going to be an amazing opportunity for myself personally and, I hope, (for) Student Media,” she said.

Hisam said Bleck brings good perspective to the leadership role and said she’s motivated and dedicated with a good perspective.

To keep the magazine running strong, Hisam said Bleck will have to keep her passion and maintain the publication’s student emphasis. Bleck should be able to do both, Hisam said.

While Bleck didn’t offer any specific insight on how she would keep the magazine afloat amid its parent company’s financial struggles with the economy, Hisam stressed the importance of producing student-centric content to move the magazines off racks.

“I think she’s going to do a great job,” Hisam said.

News Editor Jim Sojourner can be reached at news@collegian.com