Authors: Collegian Editorial Board

Tony Frank and Joe Garcia don’t have a choice anymore.

At its meeting Friday, the CSU System Board of Governors decided to require the presidents of CSU-Fort Collins and Pueblo to draft overt gun policies for both campuses — and both policies must ban concealed carry.

Come February, students will no longer be able to tuck a .38-caliber revolver or 9 mm semi-automatic pistol into their belt holster, cover it up with coat and walk onto campus.

Depending on your stance on gun control, this could be a good or a bad thing.

But the announcement of the pending policy clearly ignores every student opinion the board has heard on the issue.

The Associated Students of CSU asked the board last week to keep concealed carry after they compiled extensive research of other universities and a number of letters from students and alumni, including two state lawmakers, saying concealed carry should stay.

The BOG’s biggest reason for ignoring these requests is what board member Ed Haselden called the “what if.”

What if a student with a concealed weapon accidentally fires a shot in a classroom? What if a student with a concealed weapon retaliates during a shooting and misses the shooter, hitting innocent bystanders?

But if we’re going to debate the issue in terms of what ifs, the board should have looked at the other side of the token.

What if a shooter closes off the doors at the top of one of CSU’s many auditorium-style classrooms and opens fire? The students, the teacher and the any special needs assistants would be like fish in a barrel. And without any defense in the crowd, there’s nowhere for them to go.

The board’s argument simply appears to be a gimmick to back its political alignment with other schools, while putting the actual responsibility on the backs of both campus leaders and ignoring the student voice.