Authors: Justin Smith

Act on fact, not fears

As a career law enforcement officer and an adjunct professor on campus, I would like to add my perspective to the debate over the proposed ban on concealed carrying of firearms on campus.

The proposed ban assumes that a law abiding, permitted citizen is a danger to the community and a threat to the police. I would ask the university administration to act on facts and logic, not on emotions and fears.

Sir Robert Peel, founder of the Metropolitan Police Force (The London Bobbies) in 1829, proposed the principle that “The police are the public and the public are the police.”

This is one of the core tenets of the modern concept of community policing today.

The idea is that the public at large and the police share responsibility for keeping the community safe. Allowing concealed carrying of firearms by law-abiding citizens is an extension of that concept.

Just as police officers are not expected to resist armed assaults with their bare hands, neither should citizens be relegated to such an inadequate defense. There are many examples where armed community members stopped a violent assault on innocent persons. These citizens are heroes, not a threat.

No one can predict when and where the next violent act will occur in our community, but we can without a doubt say that it will occur. This is why the vast majority of off-duty police officers carry their concealed firearms to places like the grocery store, the mall, and yes, to church.

They realize that there is no place that is immune from violence. I would implore the university administration to reconsider this push to disarm law-abiding students, faculty and visitors to the CSU Campus. You will not be making the campus a more safe environment, you will simply be making the law abiding citizens prey.

Justin Smith

CSU professor of sociology