Authors: Jim Sojourner

Despite falling revenues, newly appointed leaders of the local student media company’s radio and TV stations remained optimistic for the future of their media outlets.

Appointed to their new positions by the Rocky Mountain Student Media Corporation’s search committee Thursday night, Zachary Newton, a sophomore undeclared major, will take over CTV Channel 11 for the 2010 to 2011 academic year, and Dylan Wray, a junior communication studies student, will head up the KCSU radio station’s operations.

For the airwaves, Wray said he plans to concentrate on creating better audience-listener interaction and bringing artists in to perform at KSCU’s performance studio, which the station created earlier this year.

Wray said he’d like to improve audience interaction online and ultimately use the studio performances to create a KSCU in-studio album to generate money for the station.

Nick Sebesta, KSCU’s current station manager, said Wray has been instrumental in getting artists into the studio so far and has the passion to take KCSU into the future.

“Dylan is absolutely going to be fantastic for the job,” Sebesta said.

As for the broadcast side, Newton said he will maintain his station’s emphasis on news ontent to ensure CTV continues to serve the CSU community and provide learning opportunities for CSU students.

“I believe in what CTV does,” Newton said.

In addition, the station will begin looking at better ways to generate money through advertising in the spring semester, Newton said, a focus that will grow under his tenure.

Current CTV station manager Mary Timby called Newton a “really strong candidate” and had nothing but glowing words about him. Timby said Newton is easy to get along with and has proved his dedication to CTV and his passion for journalism in general.

News Editor Jim Sojourner can be reached at news@collegian.