Authors: Nic Turiciano

Though bandanna-clad zombies have overrun campus, one CSU student organization has been focusing on something slightly more fashionable.

Tonight the CSU student chapter of Fashion Group International will host its annual winter fashion show at Hodi’s Half Note off College Avenue in Old Town.

Glamourazzi: Rock the Red Carpet will showcase designs from apparel and merchandising students from CSU, as well as clothing from local retailers.

The show will be followed by performances from local bands Fresh Jeff, Wire Faces, Common Anomaly and Big Motif.

The annual fashion show, which typically earns between $500 and $1,200, is the largest fundraiser for FGI and is important for apparel and merchandising majors, said Caitlin Henry, a junior merchandising major and FGI student chapter co-president.

“It’s exposure for CSU apparel and merchandising majors, which they don’t get often enough,” Henry said. “And it also teaches them how to delegate the responsibilities of a runway show.”

A new addition to the runway show is the 48-hour student design competition. Contestants are given 48 hours to create a garment that can transform from one piece of clothing to another while on the runway.

“The hardest part of the process was just coming up with the idea of what to do,” said Tracey Kennedy, a contestant in the contest and treasurer of FGI, whose garment transforms from a floor length dress into a towel-neck shirt.

The choice of theme for the show, which has included Winter Wonderland and Recycle the Recession in the past, tends to reflect recent events. This year’s theme is the result of the now notorious 2009 MTV Videos Music Awards, Henry said.

“We tried to pick bands that fit the theme of the show while also staying local,” Henry said.

“We’ve never done a fashion show with live music before. It will be pretty cool to bring local music together with the fashion industry,” Kennedy said.

Local retailers The Wright Life, Biazi, Cherish and Paper Doll will be providing additional outfits for models.

“It’s nice to get the exposure and also be involved with CSU,” said Holly Wright, co-owner of The Wright Life.

Ryan Horne, who is participating as a model in the runway show, said he’s excited for the event.

“I’ve never done anything like this before. I’ve never even thought about modeling,” Horne said. “I’ve got jitters just thinking about it.”

Glamourazzi: Rock the Red Carpet starts at 7:30 p.m. The cost is $5 for attendees older than 21 and $8 for attendees younger 21.