Authors: Collegian Editorial Board

In our great state of Colorado, voters apparently value doctors about as much as they value higher taxes — not much. And yes, the two are directly correlated.

The Denver Post reported Thursday that funding for the University of Colorado’s medical school has tanked so badly, the school could lose its accreditation, according to CU President Bruce Benson.

The Liaison Committee for Medical Education, a national entity that evaluates medical schools, listed the school’s low-level of state funding as an area of concern when it told school officials in October that it would re-evaluate the school in 18 months.

Without a degree from an accredited school, students will be unable to get a medical license.

Wake up Colorado.

CU’s medical school, one of the premier programs in the United States, is at the bottom of the financial barrel among the nation’s schools.

Sound familiar? It should.

CSU’s veterinary school, ranked second in the country, is also quickly slipping down the funding ladder, not to mention every Colorado university as a whole, as the state’s higher ed system falls off the last-in-the-country-in-higher-education-funding cliff.

And the crux of the problem is that Colorado voters either don’t think higher education is important, or think that “entitled” college students should pay for their own damn schooling.

Medical schools like CU’s take few students from out of state to try to ensure that the state’s medical students stay in state. If taxpayers force students to go out of state and Colorado starts to feel the pressure of losing its doctor population, maybe voters will realize the amount in their bank accounts doesn’t matter much if there aren’t enough doctors to pay with it.

But, even that’s probably a bit too optimistic, even for entitled, radical, ignorant college liberals.