Authors: Aaron Hedge

CSU will offer the first exclusive screening for a documentary examining the stories of low-elevation communities that are being squeezed out of their areas by the climate change crisis on Sunday in the Lory Student Center Theater.

The movie “Climate Refugees,” which was executively produced by Patrick McConathy, who was named this year as the chair of the CSU System Board of Governors, is a compilation of interviews with affected refugees and climate change experts about the environmental challenges facing the communities.

It also presents a call to action for large American cities to offer themselves as retreats for the displaced communities.

“This film brings an urgent message to all of us that our world is changing rapidly,” said Diana Wall, director of CSU’s School of Global Environmental Sustainability, in a press release.

It will be screened at the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change in Copenhagen in December.

Tickets for the event are sold out, but there is overflow capacity for people who show up without a ticket, said Kimberly Sorensen, a CSU spokesperson.

The movie will be followed up with a discussion session where attendees can pose questions to a panel made up of climate change experts.

Development Editor Aaron Hedge can be reached at news@collegian.com.