Authors: Matt Minich

CSU will distribute about 700 doses of the H1N1 vaccine to students and faculty who are considered to fall into high-risk categories for the virus on Saturday.

Volunteers will distribute doses of the vaccine between 10 a.m. and 2 p.m. in the Lory Student Center North Ballroom, said Lisa Duggan, the director of vaccinations at Hartshorn Health Center. She said they are intended only for those members of the CSU community who fall into the following high-risk categories:

Pregnant Women

Parents, caregivers of children younger than 6 months old

Children between the ages of 6 months to 4 years (who are children of student or faculty)

Anyone between the ages of 5 and 64 years with qualifying medical conditions such as asthma, diabetes and immuno-deficiencies, and

Providers of medical care.

Those students and faculty members falling into these categories can register to receive the vaccine at http://flu.colostate.edu. Duggan said there are 720 time slots and “still plenty of room.”

“It takes about a second to get the shot,” she said.

Hartshorn has already distributed more than 150 vaccines to those falling into these categories in the past weeks but has been unable to immunize the entire at-risk population because of the sluggish flow of vaccines from manufacturers to caregivers, Duggan said.

“Initially it’s been very slow and very, very limited supply,” she said.

With the new influx of vaccines, Hartshorn Health Center hopes to immunize the bulk of the at-risk population, allowing it to shift its priorities to the student population as a whole.

Hartshorn is still “anxiously awaiting” the volume of vaccines that would be required to inoculate the student population as a whole and is unsure as to when the medicine will be available.

According to http://larimerflu.org, Larimer County will also be also hosting a vaccination clinic for high-risk groups at The Ranch in Loveland from noon to 5 p.m. Sunday. Registration is available on the Web site.

News Editor Jim Sojourner contributed to this report.

Senior Reporter Matt Minich can be reached at news@collegian.com.