Women Ram the Grizzlies

Authors: Kyle Grabowski

Megan Heimstra clutched the rebound off of Tianna Ware’s jumper to preserve the CSU women’s basketball team’s first win of the season-72-64 over Montana.

The Rams held the Grizzlies without a field goal for the last eight minutes and only gave up five free throws during the span.

Heimstra led Colorado State with 11 rebounds and scored 16 points to go along with two blocks in the season opening win.

“People were looking for me inside,” she said, “They were jamming Kim (Mestdagh) so it was pretty easy in the open lanes to get a shot off.”

Mestdagh scored 17 points, 12 of which came in the second half, and continued her solid play from the preseason.

In her first major action of the year after sitting out much of the preseason due to injury, sophomore guard Natalie van den Adel tallied 13 points and four rebounds. Van den Adel fouled out with CSU up by five with 4:12 remaining in the game.

“We put them on the line way too much I feel like,” van den Adel said.

The Rams were down by as many as six during the second half and had to overcome a 34-31 deficit at halftime.

Head coach Kristen Holt said, “We haven’t had a good win like that against a quality opponent in a while. I’m really happy to start off the year like that because it just kinda shows the progress of the program.”

Up next for CSU is Wichita State on Sunday afternoon. Holt served as an assistant there from 2003-2007.

“They are run and gun … they will press us for 40 minutes,” Holt said of the Shockers, “(WSU head coach Jody Adams) is a Pat Summit player … so she’s very much in your face, come in and dominate ‘em, get in their heads, so we’re gonna have to get ready for that in one day.”