Authors: Kyle Grabowski

The CSU women’s basketball team’s regular season officially begins tonight at 7 p.m. in Moby Arena against the Grizzlies of Montana.

Last season, CSU lost to the Grizzlies in Missoula, Mont., by a score of 68-53 thanks in large part to only shooting 20.7 percent from the field in the second half.

“A lot of things we didn’t do well in that game we’re gonna have to do better,” second year head coach Kristen Holt said. “We are a quicker team this year, and I hope we can take advantage of that.”

Sophomore guard Kim Mestdagh enters the regular season having scored more than 20 points in both preseason games, and her career high of 20 points came last year against the Grizzlies.

“I think they’ll be tight on me,” Mestdagh said. “But I think I can get my shots up if I keep working on it. If I work for my teammates I’ll get open for myself.”

Montana plays with a similar style to last year and returns two starters, but CSU junior guard Zoi Simmons insists this season is different.

“I don’t really think about last year,” she said. “We need to focus on boxing out, rebounding and getting key plays.”

Holt enters her second season opener as the Rams’ head coach and feels she is better prepared now than for the first.

“I feel like I have a better handle on what type of team we have this year,” Holt said. “I have a feel for what we’re good at, what we’re not, what we’re gonna have to do (tonight) to win.”

Women’s basketball Beat Reporter Kyle Grabowski can be reached at sports@collegian.com.