Authors: Collegian Editorial Board

After winning a bowl game last season and a 3-0 start this season, CSU’s football team was looking at having a more than stellar year. But it all fell apart after a tough four-game stretch against BYU, Idaho, TCU and Utah sent the team into a downward spiral that landed them last in the conference.

Ram fans had their hopes of salvaging some pride crushed on Friday after CSU ended its season 3-9 at the Border War and winless in the Mountain West Conference.

How did it get to this?

Well, there are a few things to keep in mind before we start to point fingers. This was only Steve Fairchild’s second year as head coach for the Rams. Last year’s New Mexico Bowl win was unexpected by most as it is a rare occasion for a first-year head coach to win a bowl game.

Fairchild is still finding his feet.

Also, the Rams fall dead last in the Mountain West Conference in terms of funding from the university budget, leaving program officials scrambling for spare donations from the Northern Colorado Community.

So, if we are looking to see some wins next year, there are a few things that need to be changed. As Fairchild looks to right the ship, he should continue to place his focus on a reorganization of coaching positions, especially the defensive and offensive coordinators.

Next, we need to see an increase in donations and financial support for the football program. There’s no way we can expect to produce a good team purely from hopes and dreams. We need your support, alumni.

Patience is key. The program is not going to transform itself overnight. So keep the faith, Rams fans. Fairchild and the players are working on it.