Authors: Vince Crespin

CSU’s Nu Alpha Kappa fraternity is signing up volunteers today for its National Hispanos Dando Esperanza bone marrow drive, hoping to find a matching donor for a 46-year-old Arvada man with lymphoma.

Lupe Cervantes, the focus of the drive, was diagnosed with lymphoma — a deadly cancer of the immune system — more than a year ago and desperately needs a bone marrow transplant.

He teamed up with the fraternity to not only to try and get the bone marrow donation he needs but also to raise awareness about the disease and the bone marrow registry on which Hispanics are underrepresented, said Sean Jones, an NAK member.

Jones said he is excited to be involved in the effort for many reasons, but he said since the drive is focused on one person, having a face on the campaign makes it more personal.

“We contacted Lupe through the 9News Web site and at another bone marrow drive in Denver. It always feels good to do philanthropy work, but this has a different feel to it,” Jones said.

NAK is a primarily Hispanic and Latino fraternity, and Jones said the fact that this effort could draw more Hispanics to the marrow registry was also a large reason why it chose to get involved.

“A big goal of this is to get more Hispanics involved in donating. However, this is something that helps save lives, so of course we are trying to help benefit all lymphoma patients” Jones said.

The fraternity is working with the National Marrow Donor Program and the Colorado Marrow Donor Program at Bonfils Blood Center and will be hosting the event from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m in the Lory Student Center’s Sunken Lounge.

Staff writer Vince Crespin can be reached at news@collegian.com.

The Drive

What: CSU’s Nu Alpha Kappa fraternity is signing up volunteers hoping to find a matching donor for a 46-year-old Arvada man with lymphoma

When: Today, 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.

Where: Lory Student Center, Sunken Lounge