Authors: Katelyn McNamara

Stunning headdress, unique styles of singing and tribal dancing, the aroma of traditional Native American food amid generations of history will be abound in the Lory Student Center Saturday.

As part of national celebrations — November is Native American Awareness month — CSU’s Native American Cultural Center will host its 27th annual POW WOW.

NACC Director Tyrone Smith, a Navajo Indian and CSU alumni, said Native Americans live in a society that perpetuates stereotypes about their culture and that this event is hoped to break those.

“I would tell someone to come just to experience a different culture,” Smith said.

Saturday’s event will include vendors selling a variety of food including, Native American tacos and traditional fry bread, arts and crafts, as well as singing and dancing.

Delbert Willie, a graduate student majoring in electrical engineering who was involved in planning the event, said with more than five tribal groups planned to perform, attendees will have multiple chances to experience Native American culture.

“I would tell someone to come because it’s an opportunity to see some of the various styles of dance and to see premiere singing groups,” he said.

The event will include two grand entrances — the event kickoff — one at 1 p.m. and another at 7 p.m. This gives audience members a chance to see all who are involved make their grand entrance.

The event will take place from 10:30 a.m. until 10 p.m. Saturday in the LSC Main Ballroom.

“I think it is important to thank (the Associated Students of CSU),” said Smith, adding that without its allocation of almost $19,000 from student fees, NACC would not be able successfully host the event. “They value diversity.”

Jake Donovan, the director of ASCSU’s Finance Department, said student government supports event as a celebration of diversity.

“It’s really our pleasure for helping them out,” Donovan said. “Diversity is a main issue for ASCSU, and we knew it was a great program and really just wanted to stand behind them.”

The university will kickoff the month with a performance by the Grammy nominee Northern Cree Drum Group and a fry bread sale in the LSC Plaza Friday from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m.

Katelyn McNamara can be reached at news@collegian.com.