Authors: Adam Bohlmeyer

New offensive coordinator, new quarterback, same old story for the CSU Rams football team.

Even after reliving former offensive coordinator of his coaching duties and temporarily pulling quarterback Grant Stucker in favor of back up Jon Eastman, the Rams (3-7 0-6) still lost to the UNLV Rebels (4-6 2-4) Saturday night in Las Vegas. The defeat marks the seventh consecutive loss for CSU and ends any hope of a bowl game.

CSU head coach Steve Fairchild gave credit to the Rebels for the win, but said he was embarrassed by the loss.

“I’m embarrassed for the players, I’m embarrassed for the fans and coaches,” he said after the game in an interview on 560 KLZ. “We lost our composure out there and not because of the score. That’s not the way you play the game. We’ve got to the back to playing.”

Only down 14-7, the Rams looked to be in the game going into halftime, a fact that quickly changed in the second half.

The Rebels, opened the third quarter with an impressive eight play, 70 yard game winning drive ending with a five-yard touchdown run by Mike Clausen.

UNLV was just getting started, adding two more touchdowns in the second half, including a six yard run from Channing Trotter with 2:05 left in the game, while cruising to a convincing 35-16 victory.

The Rams were never really able to get their offense on track during the game and played quarterback shuffle through out. Grant Stucker started the evening for CSU only to be pulled midway through the second quarter. Back up Jon Eastman entered the game, enjoying mild success and leading the Rams to 10 points, including a one yard John Mosure touchdown just before half time.

After throwing a costly interception early in the fourth, Eastman was replaced, putting Stucker back on the field. The senior lead a late scoring charge again ending with a

Mosure touchdown run, but it wasn’t near enough to keep the Rams from a loss.

Fairchild explained that he wasn’t really pleased with either quarterbacks performance and said the CSU passing game has lost a lot.

“We’ve been struggling in our pass game since the middle of the season,” he said. “Maybe we’ve taken a step here and there, but we are still a long ways away.”

Statistically, Stucker had the better night of the duo, going 13-24 for 127 yards and no touchdowns. Eastman finishes 7-13 for 73 yards and an interception.

Searching for answers, CSU freshman running back Lou Greenwood isn’t blaming the losing streak on the way the Rams prepare for games.

“Practice wasn’t that bad this week,” the true freshman said. “We failed when it counted and that’s when we failed. It’s not a matter of practice.”

Greenwood finished the game with 13 carries for 65 yards to lead the Rams ground game.

Up next for the Rams is a long bye week followed by a showdown with the New Mexico Lobo’s, a match up of the only teams in the Mountain West without a conference win. The game will likely decide last place in the conference.

*All quotes were taken from post game interviews on 560 KLZ

Assistant Sports Editor Adam Bohlmeyer can be reached at sports@collegian.com

Box Score

1 2 3 4 F

CSU- 0 7 3 6 16

UNLV 0 14 7 14 35