Authors: Stephen Meyers

CSU basketball fans better get used to some new faces.

True freshman Dorian Green is one of seven newcomers to the Rams’ squad and Tuesday night he proved he’s a player to watch in CSU’s 74-65 victory over Regis.

Green scored 17 points and dished out two assists, including a no-look pass to forward Travis Franklin on a fast-break.

The freshman from Lawrence, Kan., just needed to slow down and adjust to the pace of college basketball and everything fell in place for the 6-foot-2, 170 pound guard.

“Once I got accustomed to the flow and the speed of the game, I felt a lot better and knew that I could make an impact,” Green said.

“Now don’t lie, it was when you made your first shot,” said head coach Tim Miles, joking with Green during the player’s press conference after Tuesday’s game.

Green’s first points came on a runner down the lane with 11:27 on the clock in the first half.

“I thought Dorian Green looks like a player,” Miles said.

And Miles needed all the players he could get on Tuesday. The team only dressed ten players due to injuries or a coaches’ decision, so Green’s scoring was a welcome sight to Miles.

“He better damn score,” Miles said. “There were about 30 points sitting on our bench tonight in street clothes.”

Jesse Carr, Travis Busch and Harvey Perry all sat on the bench with street clothes.

Carr is out with a hip injury, but ran this week without feeling any pain and could be back in December, Miles said.

Familiar faces Andy Ogide and Adam Nigon played solid games for the Rams. Ogide led the team with 18 points and pulled down seven rebounds.

“Now we’ve got to keep working and getting better every day,” Ogide said.

The junior admitted that the team did not perform as well as it should have defensively – something Miles was glad he and the team recognized.

“Heads were down in the locker room after the game and I told them we did win so they should be happy about that, but we know we need to get better,” he said.

Curtis Mitchell led the Regis Rangers with 21 points and Matt Rosinksi added 16 more.

Miles got a pleasant surprise from its bench in freshman forward, Pierce Hornung.

The 6-foot-5 forward from Arvada chipped in six points, two rebounds and two blocks. More importantly, said Miles, he did the hustle plays.

“Hornung is one of those players you love because he gets loose balls and he makes layups,” Miles said.

Hornung was excited to get on the court for the first time as a Ram.

“It was a lot of fun, I enjoyed it,” Hornung said.

Basketball beat reporter Stephen Meyers can be reached at sports@collegian.com.