Our View: Trick or treat

Authors: Collegian Editorial Board

It’s that time of year again.

Saturday night, small children will wander into the dark, cold streets dressed as witches, devils and balloon boys with gaping bags waiting to be filled with candy.

At the same time, college students will wander into their friends’ dark cold basements also dressed as witches, devils and balloon boys with gaping gullets waiting to be filled with booze.

Sound like a typical Saturday night for the college crowd? Maybe. But it is Halloween, and there’s a greater chance that earth-shatteringly hot guy/girl in your journalism class will show up dressed as a vampire stripper.

But then again so might an engineering major or two.

What we’re getting at, is Halloween is about having fun and worshiping the devil, if you’re into that kind of thing. But, it’s also important to remember to stay safe.

Despite what you may think, the traditional Celtic pagan holiday is not about driving drunk, especially while having fun, dressed as a zombified Walter Cronkite or while performing séances.

You should also remember to check your vodka shots for razor blades or needles, and if you’re worried about getting hit by cars, small amounts of reflective tape make an excellent revealing costume.

Condoms are also always a good idea, even on Halloween.

So grab your booze, your costume and your condoms, because you never know when your next chance to party will be before next Thursday.