Authors: Robyn Scherer

I love Halloween. It is my favorite holiday, and the history of it completely fascinates me. Every year, I watch “Hocus Pocus,” and it never gets old. But, the Halloween of today does not even come close to what it is used to represent.

Halloween, also known as All Hallows Eve, is supposed to be a night to celebrate the dead and their return to this Earth. People used to leave a candle lit in the window to welcome home their lost love one.

Costumes were originally used to scare off demons. But, for any of you who have been to a college Halloween party, it is quite clear that current costumes would never scare off anything.

Instead, I think many college students use Halloween as an excuse to dress as scantily as possible. I remember my first college Halloween party. I saw girls on my floor go out in less clothing than regular underwear covers.

OK, I get it. I really do. You want to be sexy. That is not a bad thing. However, being sexy and being skanky are two very different things, and I feel the distinction isn’t very clear.

When I see all of these females in such little clothing, I wonder, wouldn’t it just be easier to run around naked? I mean, at this point everyone can pretty much see what you have because there is certainly no imagination left.

Companies like Leg Avenue are not helping the situation. This company encourages young adults to purchase skimpy, “saucy” outfits as they call them to look “hot” this Halloween season. And what happens? Everyone ends up with the same pre-fabricated costumes.

What happened to originality? It is gone, just like many other creative things we used to have. People don’t have the time. It’s easier to pay to have everything done for you.

I know sometimes it can be fun to dress sexy and try to attract someone of the opposite sex. However, you don’t have to dress like a prostitute to do it. If that person really likes you, he or she will look at your personality more than your looks.

I know that physical attraction is the first step, and first impressions are everything. But what message are you sending when you dress that way? Are you saying I’m a smart person who has a great story? I have a fiery personality and can be a great friend?

No, you are saying, “Hey take a look at me, I’m easy.” If that’s the message you really want to portray, go for it. Just keep that in mind when you dress up to go out.

When you think about dressing this way, think of all the younger kids who may look up to you. What kind of an example are you setting for them? Think about that next time you decide to wear that extremely revealing outfit. You never know whom you may be affecting.

//So tomorrow night, go out, have fun and be safe. It’s okay to be sexy, but try to do so in a manner that shows who you are. There are a lot of costumes out there that are slightly revealing, and still leave room for imagination.

Remember, pictures of you will probably end up on Facebook, and if you’re like me, both your parents are on it. I sure wouldn’t want my mom to see me dressed like that. Do you want your family and friends to see that?

Keep it classy, CSU.

Robyn Scherer is a senior animal sciences major. Her column appears Fridays in the Collegian. Letters and feedback can be sent to letters@collegian.com.