Authors: Collegian Staff Report

The CSU women’s basketball team tips off its season tonight with exhibition play against CSU-Pueblo at 7 p.m. inside of Moby Arena. This is one of two exhibition games the Rams will play before officially starting the season on Nov. 13.

Tonight’s contest will be the first game in head coach Kristen Holt’s second season. Last year, she led the Rams to a 10-21 record overall and 5-13 mark in Mountain West Conference action. This was a vast improvement from 2007-2008 when CSU won only two regular season games and lost their exhibition opener against Metro State.

The Rams’ leading returning scorer this season is sophomore Kim Mestdagh, who averaged 7.5 points per game last season. While starting in only 14 games as a freshman, Mestdagh, who hails from Belgium, shot just shy of 40 percent from the field and 32.1 percent from three-point range.

Last season, the CSU-Pueblo Thunderwolves posted an overall record of 22-9 and won the Rocky Mountain Athletic Conference Postseason Championship. The Thunderwolves’ main threat is junior guard Rachel Espinoza, who scored 13.8 points per game during the 2008-2009 season. Espinoza is a Pueblo native who graduated from Central High School.

So far there have been no talks of canceling the game due to weather conditions, but make sure to check Collegian.com for updates as they happen.