Authors: Joel Hafnor

The CSU volleyball team saw its 12-game winning streak halted in harsh fashion Thursday evening as the Rams fell to the TCU Horned Frogs in straight sets (25-23, 25-22, 25-10).

The Rams (16-4, 8-1 MWC), who have traditionally struggled in Fort Worth, failed to finish close sets, and as a result, found themselves with an early two set deficit.

“We had bad end game performances,” said head coach Tom Hilbert of the first two sets. “I told the girls we’re close in these games, we just need to come out and win three games in a row, which we have shown we can do.”

With their perfect conference record on the line, and their backs against the wall, the Rams took the court in set three ready to bounce back. Instead, the Rams fell flat on their faces, suffering their worst set of the season

“We were completely terrible in the third game,” Hilbert said. “Everyone was bad. We were playing tentatively, hitting unforced errors, letting balls drop in.”

Hilbert cited the large crowd as one of the reasons for the team’s late match struggles.

The 1,875 people who filled the University Recreation Center in Fort Worth set a school attendance record.

The TCU faithful have ample reason to be excited, with the Frogs (18-5, 7-2 MWC) sitting in second place in the Mountain West Conference, now just one game behind the Rams for the conference lead.

Danielle Minch and Jacque Davisson, who entered the match ranking first and second on the team in kills, combined for just 13 in the match. As a team, the Rams hit a miserable .097, including 21 errors.

Coach Hilbert hopes the team can put this match behind them quickly.

“You just have to go to the next match and prepare for it,” Hilbert said. “You believe in the type of team you normally are.”

The Rams will not have to wait long to remind themselves what they are made of, as a date with conference foe New Mexico (14-7, 6-3 MWC) looms tomorrow afternoon at 1 p.m. The match will be broadcast on 90.5 KCSU-FM.

Volleyball Beat Reporter Joel Hafnor can be reached at sports@collegian.com.