Authors: Joel Hafnor

The CSU football team dropped its fifth consecutive game Saturday afternoon at Hughes Stadium, falling to the San Diego State Aztecs, 42-28.

The Rams (3-5, 0-4 MWC) jumped out to a 14-0 first quarter lead, thanks to a rushing touchdown by John Mosure, and a dazzling one-handed 40 yard touchdown catch by Tyson Liggett. The two teams swapped second quarter scores, as the Rams headed to the locker room with a 21-7 advantage.

The Rams, who have struggled to finish games all season, looked like a completely different team in the second half. Ryan Lindley, the Aztecs sophomore quarterback, diced the Rams secondary for 327 second half yards, and 5 passing touchdowns.

The Aztec aerial assault came without leading receiver Vincent Brown, who entered the game ranked 3rd nationally in receiving yardage. Enter DeMarco Sampson, who amassed 257 yards and 3 touchdowns in Brown’s absence.

“They didn’t even have (Brown) out there,” said head coach Steve Fairchild. “More credit to them.”

Though the secondary emerged as the Rams most glaring issue on Saturday, the offense was equally troubled in the second half, totaling just 127 yards.

“The offensive side of the ball didn’t hold up their end of the ball either,” said senior quarterback Grant Stucker, who finished the game with just 182 yards passing. “We need to figure out what we need to do to keep that rhythm going, keep that ball moving.”

John Mosure, the only Ram running back to carry the ball, represented the lone bright spot offensively for the Rams, setting a career high in rushing yards, with 132. The junior totaled 160 yards of total offense, including his first career passing touchdown, a 23-yard connection with fullback Zac Pauga in the third quarter.

Mosure declined comment after the game.

The Aztecs have now defeated the Rams three consecutive times at Hughes Stadium, and now lead the all-time series 16-13.

The Rams must now look forward in hopes of securing their first conference victory, setting its sights on Air Force (4-4, 3-2 MWC), who visit Fort Collins this coming Saturday.