Kubiak out for the season

Authors: Adam Bohlmeyer

Klint Kubiak has not had an easy road in the world of college football and it just got a little tougher.

CSU Rams head coach Steve Fairchild announced in a press conference Monday Kubiak, a safety, is expected to miss the rest of the year just days after having surgery to repair a torn pectoral muscle.

Fairchild said that CSU knew about the injury last week and that it took time to determine how serious it was.

“He tore a pec (muscle) and it took us a while to get the complete diagnosis because it depended on how much separation took place,” the second year head coach said. “There might have been a possibility that he could have played without needing surgery. As we diagnosed it through the week it was determined that he was going to need surgery and going to be out for the year.”

Kubiak was sidelined by the injury during Saturday’s 44-6 loss to Texas Christian.

The news of Kubiak’s season ending does not come easy to the Rams defense. The senior is currently the teams second leading tackler with 48 take downs, only four behind leader Mychal Sisson.

Kubiak has missed significant time the past three season with injuries, including a knee injury that cost him the final two games of 2008 regular season.

Fairchild explained that the Rams defense will not be the same after losing Kubiak, but has to move on.

“I’ve said all along that we are a much better defense when Klint is in there, but he has been hurt in the past and we have had to go on. It is a part of the game, so we just have to look for somebody else to step up and play.”

Sophomore safety Ivory Herd is expected to step take Kubiak’s place in the starting line up.

Stay tuned to collegian.com for further updates.