Authors: Adam Bohlmeyer

The good news, the CSU Rams just completed the toughest stretch of the entire season and look to have a much easier schedule from here on out. The bad news, during this stretch the Rams have lost four straight, including a 44-6 beat down by Texas Christian on Saturday and now have a losing record to show for it.

CSU (3-4 0-3 MWC) is back in Fort Collins trying to recover after being embarassed by the Horned Frogs on the road in Fort Worth, Texas. TCU held the Rams to under 200 yards of total offense in route to CSU’s most lopsided loss of the Steve Fairchild era.

Fairchild, the Rams head coach, gave credit to TCU for showing just how good they are while admitting his team struggled.

“We just didn’t perform well here today,” the second year head coach said. “Gary (Patterson, TCU head coach) does a good job coaching, and they have good players. We certainly did not play well enough to win the game.”

CSU started out strong against the Horned Frogs, jumping out to a 6-0 first quarter lead before falling apart and giving up 44 unanswered points. The Rams drove down the field in their first two possessions only to be stopped short of the end zone and settling for a pair of Ben DeLine field goals.

Fairchild explained that not scoring a touchdown on the opening drives really hurt the Rams momentum.

“Anytime you take field goals instead of touchdowns, it is going to come back and bite you,” he said. “When it’s all said and done, they out-played us. They deserved to win, and they won big.”

TCU quarterback Andy Dalton gave credit to the Rams for coming out quickly and said it took a while for his team to warm up.

“I think things just started coming together,” the senior said. “We were hurting ourselves in the first quarter and stopping ourselves. Once we settled down, we played our game, and that’s when things took off.”

Over their last four games, the Rams have had one of the toughest schedules in the entire country, facing teams with a combined record of 23-3, three of which currently rank in the top 25 nationally.

Although Fairchild isn’t expecting an easy road ahead, the Rams appear to have a more manageable schedule the rest of the season, facing opponents with a combined record of 12-21, including the winless UNLV Rebels.

Up next for CSU is a conference showdown with San Diego State (2-4 0-2) Saturday at Hughes Stadium. The Rams are a perfect 1-0 against the Aztecs under Fairchild, knocking off SDSU on the road last season 38-34.

Assistant Sports Editor Adam Bohlmeyer can be reached at sports@collegian.com.