Rams blown out by Frogs

Authors: Adam Bohlmeyer

Good starts are nice, but not if you can’t follow them up. The CSU Rams learned this difficult lesson Saturday afternoon in Fort Worth Texas and were blown out in the process.

After jumping out to a 6-0 start against the Texas Christian Horned Frogs (6-0-0 2-0), the Rams (3-4 0-3) fell apart, giving up 44 unanswered points in route to a 44-6 beating. The defeat marks the Rams fourth consecutive loss and gives CSU their first losing record of the season.

CSU head coach Steve Fairchild was not shy about saying just how bad the Rams lost after the game.

“They whipped us in ever way shape and form,” he said in a post game interview on 560 KLZ. “They out classed us and were a better football team. They are a good program and you have to give them their do. We have to find a way to regroup and get better by next Saturday.”

TCU dominated the Rams in the final three quarters of the game, forcing nine straight punts from CSU and seemingly scoring at will, including a 61-yard punt return from Jeremy Kerley just before half time, giving TCU a 17-6 lead.

Quarterback Andy Dalton was impressive for the Horned Frogs during the game, completing 16 of 24 passes for 219 yards and two touchdowns.

TCU was also effective with their running attack, as three different running backs reached the end zone, including full back Luke Shivers who battled for the final score of the day from four yards out. TCU ended the day with 499 yards of total offense

CSU looked good in the first quarter of the game, out scoring TCU 6-0 and shutting them down defensively, including a forced fumble recovered by safety Elijah-Blu Smith which lead to a field goal.

Running back Leonard Mason carried the Rams for much of the opening minutes of the game, racking up 44-yards rushing on eight carries, but was injured late in the first quarter and never returned, suffering from bruised ribs.

Quarterback Grant Stucker struggled for the Rams in the loss, going seven of 15 for 59 yards. The senior was replaced by back up Jon Eastman late in the third quarter. Eastman had no better luck completing only five passes for 53 yards.

The Rams will have a week to recover from the blow out before hosting San Diego State next Saturday. The Aztecs will come as a relief for the Rams who have faced top 25 ranked teams three of the past four weeks.

Fairchild said that the Rams have to regroup and prove that they are not the team that showed up today.

“We are a much better team than what we’ve been showing lately,” he said. “We certainly have a tough game against SDSU and we’ve got to find a better way to put a better product out on the field.”