Rams to host MWC rival BYU

Authors: Joel Hafnor

The CSU volleyball team, which has cruised to 10 consecutive victories in more than a month, will need to buckle down starting tonight as they host the BYU Cougars.

The match marks the beginning of the toughest stretch of the season thus far for the Rams (14-3, 6-0 MWC), who host Utah on Saturday afternoon, followed by a road trip to Fort Worth, Texas, to take on Texas Christian a week from today.

The Cougars (9-8, 4-2 MWC) are coming off a home loss at the hands of TCU in straight sets last Saturday and have yet to string together more than three consecutive victories all season.

From 2003 to 2007, the Cougars finished with 24 or more victories in four out of five seasons. The 2008 season marked their worst campaign since 2002, as the team struggled to just 14 wins.

Meanwhile, the Rams have established themselves as the conference’s preeminent club in 2009; their perfect 6-0 record puts them alone atop the Mountain West Conference standings. With back-to-back home matches against their top conference rivals, the Rams have an opportunity to prove they aren’t going anywhere but up.

Both BYU and Utah are well aware of the Rams’ accomplishments this season and will be playing their best volleyball in attempt to knock off the league’s leader. Moby Madness will be a key factor in deciding whether or not the Rams can hold on to their perfect conference record.

Jacque Davisson, Danielle Minch, Megan Plourde and Evan Sanders will be the Rams to watch tonight, as they look to continue their incredible 2009 season. Minch leads the team with 212 kills, while freshman middle blocker Plourde leads the club in killing percentage (.377).

Moby Arena is the site of tonight’s conference battle. The match begins at 7 p.m. and can be heard live at 90.5 KCSU-FM.

Volleyball Beat Reporter Joel Hafnor can be reached at sports@collegian.com.