Authors: Justyna Thomas

Students crafted a tiny metal representation of CSU’s historic Oval Friday, complete with an Administration Building and towering trees, using donated cans of food as supplies.

They erected these canned works of art in the Lory Student Center Sculpture Garden as part of CANstruction, an event for which teams built structures from donated cans intending to raise money for the 22nd annual Cans Around the Oval.

Though the total pounds of food collected will not be known until later today, Keith Colton, Student Leadership Involvement and Community Engagement program coordinator, said enough food was obtained to fill six full pallets stacked four feet high.

Last year, CANstruction alone raised between 10,000 to 12,000 pounds of food for the Food Bank of Larimer County. This was included in the grand total for Cans Around the Oval of nearly 109,000 pounds of food.

Event coordinators suspect that the bitter cold and snow Friday deterred participation in CANstruction.

Although 15 teams planned to compete, only five teams participated, Colton said. He suspected the bitter cold and snow deterred participation in the event, designed to raise money to benefit the Food Bank of Larimer County.

Edwards Hall, the Marketing Club, Rams for Christ, Ingersoll Hall and Westfall Hall all competed, with Edwards Hall’s group winning Best Overall for their 1870 clock tower, made from cans of Hunt’s tomato sauce and Del Monte cut green beans.

For more pictures of the CANStructures go to http://slice.colostate.edu/canstruction.

Staff writer Justyna Tomtas can be reached at news@collegian.com.