Authors: Kate Frasure

As the CSU marching band made its way onto the field just after the football teams finished the first half of the game on the frigid Sunday afternoon, a sea of blue and orange erupted with noise.

They were not the ordinary Ram fans the band usually plays for, and the stadium wasn’t playing host to a CSU game. The field they marched on to was Invesco, and Denver Broncos and New England Patriots fans were cheering for one college: CSU.

“They brought the color and pageantry and the spectacle that not all fans get to witness,” said Christopher Nicholas, associate director of the band. “They brought it like CSU can.”

The performance was the first of its kind in the memory of band Director Steven Moore.

Football players were within reach, security lined the sidelines and Broncos cheerleaders almost danced right on top of the band.

Suddenly, the crowd fell silent as the announcer called the attention of fans to the CSU band, and an instant eruption of cheering filled the stadium.

“You could definitely tell the crowd was pro CSU from the beginning,” Nicholas said.

The clouds broke as the first note echoed in the stadium. As the band performed, the CSU Ram logo flashed on the TV screen — a gesture that coordinator of bands Karen Oxley said exemplified a pro-CSU attitude among the crowd.

With energy and enthusiasm the band translated the reason of why CSU students are proud to be Rams.

“The kids really performed their hearts out,” Moore said. “The whole first phase was smoking hot.”

Shawna Thompson, a sophomore drum major, said entering the field was quite the adrenaline rush.

“It was really good that the crowd was quiet,” Thompson said of the performance. “It showed they wanted to hear us.”

As the band left the stadium, fans leaned over the railing screaming, “Go CSU!”

“They represented CSU so well,” Oxley said.

She said that after performing in freezing temperatures all day Saturday at the game between CSU and the University of Utah, the band brought an incredible level of energy to Invesco Field.

Nicholas agreed.

“When the band started the show, there was no doubt who had the best band in the land,” he said. “They laid it down and gave it everything they had.”

After the band marched from the field, the Broncos, who were behind by 10 points at halftime, downed the Patriots in overtime, winning 20-17.