Authors: Minich Matt

Popular ’90s alternative rock group Marcy Playground will visit 90.5 KCSU-FM, Student Media’s student-run radio station, today at 11 a.m.

The band will spend an hour answering questions and performing in the station’s new performance studio, which was constructed this summer, said KCSU Program Manager Dylan Wray.

Wray, who was instrumental in installing the technology for the new studio, said, “I think this would be the largest band we’ve had (in the studio) so far.”

Before the installation of the performance studio, stored equipment made for little space, and the station’s small interview room was too small for bands to play in.

The trio, consisting of lead singer Jon Wozniak, bassist Dylan Keefe and drummer Shlomi Lavie, has appeared on numerous college radio stations across the county since the band’s tour kicked off in March, Wozniak said in a phone interview with the Collegian.

“College radio is more in tune with what’s going on musically than commercial radio these days,” he said.

Station DJ Graham Hunter, known over the airwaves by his radio handle DJ Tasty, will host the performance and interview.

Hunter began e-mail correspondence with the band’s management two weeks ago, and said the band agreed early on to do the on-air program.

“We’re going to have a good time in the there,” he said. “We’re going to get the band to open up and enjoy themselves,”

Hunter, who hosts a regular radio program “Breakfast with the Band” on Monday, Wednesday and Friday mornings, has been a fan of the band since its 1997 debut when the band released its hit single “Sex and Candy.”

“That was one of those songs that I remember from those early school dances,” Hunter said.

Some of the songs performed during the in-studio set will most likely be played at the band’s concert at the Aggie Theater tonight at 8 p.m.

“We’ll definitely be playing some of the new stuff,” Woznaik said, referring to the band’s new album “Leaving Wonderland … In A Fit of Rage”, which was released in July.

The frontman described his band’s stage performance as pared-down and simple without the production elements found in the band’s albums.

“The record and live are two completely different experiences,” Wozniak said.

Senior reporter Matt Minich can be reached at verve@collegian.com.