Authors: Stern Seth

CSU holds a distinction in American universities. I speak not of national treasures such as Tony Frank and Collegian editor Aaron Montoya’s beards, (I heard once they are actually the same superbeard, which is why you never see them in the same place). Nor am I talking about the local evangelical street criers, who actually just want to make me a great deal on Amway products.

I speak to the fact CSU is one of very few universities in our once-great nation allowing concealed weapon permit holders to carry on-campus. This instantly qualifies CSU as better protected against school shootings than any closed campus in the nation, even those with a private security force.

I want you to do a few things when next you attend class. First, notice how close you sit to the person next to you. Next, look for the nearest exit. How do you imagine your fellow students will react in any emergency?

Are you still looking at the clock? How long do you expect it will take CSU Police Department to respond to reports of shots fired in a central location like the Clark Building? Two minutes probably represents the best-case scenario, apart from officers standing outside the building. My guess is closer to three at minimum, seven to 10 most likely. Now imagine it takes place in one of the satellite buildings.

Ask yourself how long it would take a competent armed student to respond to an attack. No one knows how many CSU students hold concealed weapons permits, and that is exactly the purpose behind concealed carry. Attackers do not know either.

Virginia Tech, Columbine, Pearl, Miss., and Trolley Square, Salt Lake City. All were scenes of mass killings; all are gun-free zones. If you convince yourself for a moment that “gun-free” did not contribute to the mass killings, you are a fool.

Take a moment to Google, “When mass killers meet armed resistance.” Read the stories the media tends to ignore. While I understand some of you just don’t understand why violence is necessary and may believe violence in response to violence is wrong, anti-karmic or what have you, the realities of life beg to differ.

There are some among you who claim violence never solved anything. This concept is decisively moronic. Violence typically is the last option for situations caused by what? You guessed it, violence. Would you use violence to protect a child from violence? Ladies, would you use violence to protect yourself if assaulted?

While the administrators carry on enjoying their excessive salaries, their legacy of mediocrity and budget cuts, remember, those administrators face minimal risk of falling victim to a school shooting. Ultimately, they only care about limiting liability.

What really burns me about this type of political idiocy is the ignoring of facts. Gun-free zones are the equivalent of a chicken coop, foxes do not get into every chicken coop but when they do, it is a slaughter. Now train and arm one of those chickens with a .40 caliber semi-automatic pistol to carry under its wing and the scenario alters.

Some CSU students interviewed in the last two years were incredulous as to any situation in which a student could possibly need a firearm on campus. Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it.

Think of a concealed weapon as a seatbelt. Seatbelts only function when worn. Problems arise when policies prevent seatbelt permit holders from wearing their seatbelt on campuses.

Personally, I have no qualms with every qualified individual at CSU carrying concealed. Your right to carry a concealed weapon does not concern me.

If administrators want to deter shootings on campus, offer the opportunity for all students to attain the Colorado Concealed Weapons permit in accordance with state law as part of a four-week course. No one will come to campus intending to shoot the place up if six out of every 10 students is packing heat.

Seth J. Stern is a senior journalism and sociology major. His column appears Fridays in the Collegian. Letters and feedback can be sent to letters@collegian.com.