Authors: Miller Matt

The Association for Student Activity Programming is hosting its inaugural homecoming musical festival, featuring Colorado bands Meese and The Heyday, today on the West Lawn as part of the weekend line-up of CSU Homecoming festivities.

Event coordinators said the festival, which serves as a fall concert replacement for the traditional Homecoming concert that last year featured Lupe Fiasco and Three 6 Mafia, is a trial run and its return next year will depend on student and community turnout. Event attendance is free and open to the public.

ASAP will host a concert equaling the 2008 Homecoming Concert in terms of size and scope this spring.

The music festival will feature performances by regional band The Heyday at 1:30 p.m. followed by the nationally acclaimed band Meese at 3:15 p.m on the LSC West Lawn.

The Heyday and Meese, which are locally known and have gained notoriety from the radio station 93.3FM, were chosen based on their local popularity and how well they fit into the ASAP budget.

The groups, whose musical style is considered alternative, are hoped to satisfy both the student and family audiences.

“Both bands are enthusiastic to be playing on a college campus,” said Brooke Cunningham, ASAP concert coordinator. “We wanted to do something other than a hip hop show and find two bands that fit well together which both students and parents would like.”

The decision to host an event during the day, prior to the Homecoming Parade, was finalized last spring during ASAP’s budget meeting. Since this festival will take place during the day, ASAP expects it will draw a good turnout of students going to and from classes.

Some students liked the idea of the event but were unsure as to students’ ability to attend.

“Music is a great way to bring people together,” senior forestry major Paul Hamilton said. “I think (the festival) would be better when people are done with classes, though. I would rather go when I don’t have class to worry about.”

Members of CSU’s Homecoming and Family Weekend Steering Committee said ASAP’s afternoon festival adds to the continuous growth of Homecoming activities open to the community.

Homecoming is “envisioned as a three-day event,” Director of CSU Events Matt Helmer said, adding that he would like to see more events that increase the visibility for Homecoming in the future.

Coupled with the music, the festival will have food available to purchase from local vendors including Cheba Hut, Pizza Casbah and Woody’s Wood-Fired Tavern. The food vendors will be open from 1:30 to 8 p.m.

The 2009 Homecoming Parade will commence at 4:30 p.m., which will begin in downtown and end its route at University and Meridian Avenues, followed by the Homecoming Festival at 6 p.m. The festival will offer attendants games, an appearance from head football coach Steve Fairchild and conclude with the annual bonfire, fireworks and the lighting of the “A.”

Staff writer Matt Miller can be reached at news@collegian.com.