Authors: Kirsten Silveira

In several years, Morgan Library may accommodate 9 percent more on-campus students after the CSU System Board of Governors approved Tuesday $16.8 million in additions and renovations to the university’s running list of 38 capital construction projects.

Currently the library accommodates 11 percent of on-campus residents. However, in a BOG meeting last week, it was said, that considering CSU’s campus size, the library must be able to house 20 percent of on-campus residents at a time.

Assistant Director of Facilities Management Mike Rush said the project is still in the preliminary stages of planning and programming, but the department’s goal is to reorganize the interior space for “better circulation.”

Possible renovations include:

Restructuring the entrance to increase accessibility,

Reworking the reception desk,

Additions to the Northern portion of the building, and

Installing an actual café with seating.

Renderings, created by CSU architects and presented to the BOG last Thursday, showed the northern addition to the building made of glass and situated in the space currently occupied by bike racks. The renderings are preliminary and do not necessarily represent the image of future changes.

The anticipated budget for the project is set, but the money has not been requested or allocated at this time. When the further stages of planning are reached, student facility fees will be requested to aid in funding, Rush said.

Vice President of the Morgan Library Patrick Burns said the whole program to promote renovations and additions to the library has been motivated by students, especially those who serve on the Vision 2020 Library Task Force — a student and faculty organization that aims to improve the quality of the library between now and 2020.

“This project is a direct response to student demands,” Burns said.

Alex Hernandez, a public history graduate student, said that with the current set up of the library, it’s nearly impossible to find a quiet place to study, and any renovations involving academic buildings on campus should be of higher priority than the focus on athletic development that CSU is currently seeing.

“If students don’t have a quiet place to study, it limits what they can produce academically,” Hernandez said.

News Managing Editor Madeline Novey contributed to this report.

Senior Reporter Kirsten Silveira can be reached at news@collegian.com.