Authors: M. Alex Stephens

There is no greater force corrupting America than that of the conservative right.

The right has an unholy ability to ruin as many lives as possible while simultaneously tricking Americans into thinking they actually care for them. It’s time to wake up — they don’t care. Just look to their policies on health care and Iraq.

Republicans have no compassion for anyone but themselves, despite what they preach. What they’ve done during the health care debate is methodical, malicious and a prime example of their tried and true strategy of scaring America into doing exactly what they want.

Look at who benefits from universal care’s defeat. It isn’t Joe Six-Pack, it isn’t Farmer Fred, no it’s not even their bare-armed, gun-totin’, beer-drinkin’ Christian base. It’s the corporatist pig right at the top of the ladder. The one who’s comfortable with Americans dying if it means meatier bonuses for larger profits.

I can’t understand why some of the most ardent followers of Christ deny their fellow Americans, indeed, their fellow Christians, the necessary means to life. Could there be some hidden motive, some fiendish agenda distorting their “wholesome family values?”

Conservative mouthpieces like Sarah Palin, Rush Limbaugh and Glenn Beck are the true harbingers of death and greed. They scream and shout, lying that Obama will establish “death panels” to judge whether the sick deserve to live, fooling us into believing the myth of year-long waiting lists, spinning “Obamacare” to mean fascism instead of progress, all the while deceiving the public about their true selfish intent. Never mind the man behind the curtain, right?

The right’s whorish relationship to the insurance industry couldn’t be more obvious. They have no problem allowing 45,000 Americans to die annually from lack of access to health care. They see nothing wrong with poverty stricken families who must choose between dinner and medicine for their children. The Right is driven by corporate greed. Universal health care threatens the profit driven exploitation of America. If slavery makes masters rich, why would they ever jeopardize it?

We aren’t slaves. We aren’t faceless numbers in spreadsheets designed to maximize profit. We are people. We are humans. We cry for compassion and decency yet are met everywhere with the subversive boot of the right wing.

Under false pretenses, fed on irrational fears of terrorism, Bush invaded Iraq. Turn on conservative talk radio. They still believe we did it to protect our freedom. They want Americans to focus on all the “democracy” we’ve brought to the region, not the endless bloodbath that has killed 4,500 American soldiers, more than 750,000 innocents and created more hatred toward the United States than Bin Laden could’ve ever mustered. It’s Vietnam again. Absolutely everyone is dying in vain: Our husbands, wives, children and friends have lost their lives for nothing but corporate profit.

Instead of a trillion dollar war, what could we buy? How about full health coverage for every American, or completely overhauling our energy infrastructure with renewable sources, or even feeding every starving American? Instead, we have a war on terror designed to benefit armament makers oil barons and “Dick Cheneys,” which is fully sustained by Republican lunatics like Jerry Falwell who command the ignorant masses to support it.

How can the morally righteous right support such destruction? How can they warp the Bible into condemning abortion, yet justifying murder? Forgive my blasphemy, but to me the most Jesus-like action would be providing health care to everyone, treating those who are different with love and respect and opposing imperialism and war. Yet the average right winger has ignorantly been fooled into doing the exact opposite of what his Messiah taught.

They’ve played right into the hands of money, greed and death without even knowing it, and now it’s time for them to wake up.

M. Alex Stephens is a senior political science major. His column appears Thursdays in the Collegian. Letters and feedback can be sent to letters@collegian.com.