Authors: Lauren Leete

In honor of National Hispanic Heritage Month, Pulitzer Prize-winning author Sonia Nazario will give students and the community a glimpse into the lives of Latin Americans and a long-standing, controversial issue: immigration.

Nazario will discuss her experience as a Los Angeles Times journalist who followed the footsteps of a young Hispanic migrant, Enrique, pursuing his mother who left him behind to work in the United States to benefit her family’s livelihood today at 4 p.m. in the Lory Student Center’s North Ballroom. She will also talk about the immigration debate and her views on President Barack Obama’s plans to curtail it.

“(‘Enrique’s Journey’) gives people a better understanding of immigrants, of who they are and their stories. (It’s) meaningful because (Nazario) did not just write the story, she experienced it,” said Helen Kang, the event coordinator from campus activities and a graduate student in the student affairs in higher education program.

Nazario’s presentation will contain the Pulitzer Prize-winning photographs by Don Bartletti, and Kang said the presentation would give students insight into the Latin-American population.

“Students will be able to appreciate diversity as part of the norm. . (They) will be able to take something away that they can apply to their own lives in classes and interactions with people,” Kang said.

This event is free for CSU students, faculty and staff. Community members can receive admission either by donating $3 to fund programs for diversity and social justice or two cans of food to CSU’s Cans Around the Oval.

Following the presentation, there will be a question and answer session as well as a book signing.

Nazario will also give a presentation to the public Wednesday at noon in the LSC Room 220 to encourage Latin American women in their endeavors and shed light on her own experience in overcoming adversity.

El Centro, Campus Activities, Parents Fund, Multicultural Greek Council, SLiCE and Women’s Programs & Studies are sponsoring this event.

Staff writer Lauren Leete can be reached at news@collegian.com.